Thursday, June 24, 2010

Full of hot air - Cappadocia Day 3

We woke up at 4:45am so Sara could fulfill another life long dream - riding in a hot air balloon. John wasn't thrilled with the idea of getting up so early or riding high above the ground in a balloon, but in the end he had a good time. Cappadocia is famous for their hot air balloon rides since the conditions are almost always perfect in the morning. So famous that there were approximately 55 other balloons in the sky with us.

There were twelve others in our balloon with us (three to a compartment). We sailed at varying heights across the Cappadocian valley for about an hour. The air was crisp and the views were breathtaking. We were shocked at how quiet and smooth the ride was. It was very relaxing and peaceful - including the landing. The pilots have been flying for years and can land the balloons right on the trailer bed. Pretty incredible! Oh, and the ride ended with a champagne toast. That's a bit early to start drinking don't you think?
































5 comments:

  1. that looks like it was amazing! i would trade john places in a second!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! This makes me excited for the hot air balloon festival next weekend. I'm definitely motivated to get up at 5 a.m. on a holiday weekend now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit that I have always wanted to ride in a hot air balloon but I will NEVER do it. I like to be planted firmly on the ground. Sara, Donnie, Patricia, Isabella, and Porter were in a terrible head-on collision near Eagle Mountain. It is a miracle they survived. Guess I had better start wearing my seatbealt.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great posts with amazing pictures! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! I think your adventure is great and your pictures are amazing. Just think, I knew you when you were just a local Rexburg girl. Now, you are so full of adventure.

    ReplyDelete